The experience of University of Kordofan in the field of natural history is considered as contemporary expertise via the foundation of the Natural History Museum in 2015. The museum is the real base for the past, present and future of the Sudan in different aspects of life.
The museum is one of the famous scientific locations and projects in North Kordofan State; it includes some samples of animals, plants and geology. In addition, the scientific documents and reports, which reflect its importance as a scientific reference center for natural and environmental studies. Moreover, the museum is an attractive place for researchers, scientists and visitors from inside and outside Kordofan State,
Objectives of the Museum:
- Collection, studying, classification and documentation of natural property specially in Kordofan and generally in Sudan, in addition to some international samples, in order to be presented for the communities with proper means.
- Conduction of educational services to the academic institutions by exhibitions and lectures. In addition to the dissemination of indigenous knowledge and culture to schools, institutes, universities and all other related fields by exchange of materials.
- Reception of all visitors including local communities, tourists, scientists, students and other national and international delegates.
- Encouraging collaboration with local and international scientists in terms of staff exchange and sample exchange with relevant institutions.
Sections of the Museum:
This is the biggest section in the museum and includes five sections:
- Section of fisheries and marine animals: like snails, coral and fishes.
- Section of insects and spiders: This is the biggest section in Zoology Department.
- Section of reptiles and amphibians: includes , turtles and snakes.
- Section of birds: some of them are endangered species; this section represents the ecological biodiversity in Sudan.
The section includes the botanical species which represent the ecology of Sudan, and characterized by their economical value, medicinal, ornamental and environmental use and benefits.
The department of geology contains sample of fossils which refer to different types of geological era , in addition to some rocky sample correspond to different geological patterns in Sudan and other minerals representing a wide range of buried minerals in Sudan.
Sources and methods of sample collection
The staff members of the museum organize from time to time rotational and periodical tours to most of the country parts and throughout the year. The objectives of these tours are exploration, survey, investigation and collection of various samples, in order to be reserved, embalmingusing different scientific techniques, and displaying them in suitable means. The museum receives samples that are collected by the citizens from their different ecological sites.
The museum plans and aspiration of the future
The museum seeks to become a center for all States in Western Sudan for research and studies related to natural history and environmental changes, and to analyze the environmental characteristics and their interaction and impacts on living organisms. The museum will become an important place for knowledge and promotion in same time. University of Kordofan seeks to study the establishment of a special building for the museum characterized by international standards for museums equipped with advanced technical laboratories for embalming, specialized library which contains archives of information, halls for seminars and lectures, and showroom equipped with devices for presentation and saving. Some future aspiration for the museum includes special equipment used in method of diorama for display of samples which representing their natural habitats, as well as, creation of public services and recreation places, botanical garden and Zoo, with emphasis on special part for the kids to learn and get knowledge about the represented samples.
Some of the attendees in the opening ceremony of the Museum